top

St John the Evangelist Church


Hazelwood

 

button

 

 

Key dates


St. John's Church Hazelwood is over 150 years old.  During its history much has changed, but much remains constant. Christian worship and witness are paramount and have been a constant feature of the church since its opening in 1846 but whenever the church building has been in need of care and maintenance the generosity of succeeding generations has ensured that the necessary work has been carried out.  There have been frequent additions to the interior of the church to ensure that it remains up to date and fit for purpose.  The result is a building in excellent state of preservation with a beautiful and well cared for interior.

The following is a list of key dates in the history of the church.

1846

The church was consecrated by John, Bishop of Lichfield.

1857

The village of Hazelwood and St. John's Church are referenced in White's Directory of Derbyshire.  To see the reference, click here.

1902

A drastic fire on 1st February destroyed most of the church.  It was rebuilt within the year and re-opened on 2nd December.  A new organ was installed and a new font given by Mrs. Mann.

1910

The church clock was installed by Smiths of Derby.

1925

Gas was installed.

1927

The church became part of the new Diocese of Derby.

1931

The church received a gift of an oil painting "Virgin and Child".

The Hull family memorials are in the arcading in the south wall.  Mrs. E M Hull wrote "The Sheik" and other novels and is buried in the churchyard.

1947

Electricity was installed to celebrate the church's centenary (and the local organ blower became redundant!)

1956

Electric heating was installed through the generosity of Mr. John Curtis Knifton in memory of his sister Sylvia May Knifton.

1963

The north wall needed re-plastering and the East Window was reported to be in a poor condition.  Public subscriptions ranging from 2/6 (12.5p) to £500 quickly raised money to pay for a fine new East Window designed by Karl Edwards.  It features the risen Christ separating the "Sheep" from the "Goats" (Matthew Chapter 25).

1977

A flower festival was held to celebrate the Queen's Silver Jubilee and the Diocesan Golden Jubilee together with a display of "bygones".

A working party of volunteers now keeps the churchyard in good order.

1983

The organ was restored.

1986

The church school closed and the school and school house were sold.

1987

The bells were refurbished and re-hung in memory of Mr. Samuel and Mrs. Winifred Emily Land. 

Lime trees were removed from the south path and shrubs planted.

Major roof repairs were necessary at a cost of £28,000.

The archway with light fitting at the main gate was erected in memory of Mrs. Jean Ballantyne.

1988

Donation of blue carpet by Mrs. Eileen Spall.

Lighting was installed in the churchyard.

1989

Stained glass window featuring St John the Evangelist was fitted in the north wall thanks to anonymous donors.

Memorial plaque installed in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Land.

1990

Church redecorated internally.  New steps and handrail fitted to lectern.

1991

Audio amplification system was fitted thanks to anonymous donors.

1992

Adjustable organ seat fitted.

1994

Detailed report of church and artefacts prepared, published and donated by NADFAS (National Association of Decorative and Fine Art Societies).

1995

Hazelwood Mothers' Union disbanded.

Further work on the bells - new steel hawsers, lead capping and rope sallies.

Revd. Peter Lyne became Honorary Priest in Charge during a long interregnum to 1999.

1996

Wheel chair ramp donated by Mr. Rex Stone.

Handrails donated by Mrs. E Spall, were fitted to the church's main entrance.

"Hazelwood Gleanings" by Gwen Bridges marked the 150th anniversary of the church as did a flower festival.

Sunday School re-established.

1998

Building of toilet facilities off the entrance porch.

1999

Flood lighting installed donated by Mrs. Kath Parry in memory of her husband.

An automatic winder was fitted to the clock as the church’s Millennium Project, generously supported by a bequest from Mrs Dorothy Sanders.

2000

Hearing loop system installed.

2001

Major organ restoration and improvement by Mr. Edmund Stow.

2002

Publication of "Hazelwood Gleanings - Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Edition" by Mrs. Gwen Bridges (published posthumously).

A special service was held to commemorate the centenary of  the rededication of the church after the 1902 fire.

2005

New path laid from the gate to the front entrance.  Donated by a legacy from Mr. Jerry Land.

2006
The Benefice of Hazelwood, Holbrook, and Milford created; Revd Robert Harris made its first vicar.  The Patrons are the

Bishop of Derby and the Derby Diocesan Board of Patronage.

2007

Installation of hand rails at the chancel steps.  Purchased with a bequest from Arthur Gould of Lumb Lane, Hazelwood.

2008

Major reorganisation of the West End of the church was undertaken.  A number of pews were removed to provide a meeting area and kitchen facilities.

2009

The Bishop of Derby, the Rt. Rev’d Dr. Alastair Redfern, dedicated the chancel-steps’ handrails and the new refreshment and meeting area at the West End of the Church.

   
 

Additional gifts donated in recent years include:

a reading desk in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Kirkland;

a Canterbury Chair presented by Revd. Peter and Mrs Sheila Lyne to mark their ruby wedding anniversary;

a seat in the Garden of Remembrance in memory of Mary Quiggin;

a "Garden of Remembrance" Stone presented by Mrs. Marjorie Morley and a seat in the Garden of Remembrance in memory of her husband Jack;

a pulpit Bible presented by Miss Nancy Millward in memory of her parents;

new Holy Communion linen and new offertory bags were made and donated by Mr. Colin and Mrs. Sally Kitchener;

a seat in the churchyard in memory of Anne Jessica Williamson;

new chairs for the West End of the church were donated by several members of the congregation.

 

Vicars of St. John's Church

There have been thirteen vicars of St John's Church since 1846 and we are fortunate in having photographs of all of them.  To see the gallery of vicars, click here: