top

History of St. John's Church

 

Some key dates in the life of St. John's Church and photographs
of all its vicars can by found by clicking here:
 

 

About the building

St John's Church was built in 1846 but was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1902. It was rebuilt within a year. The fire was caused by sparks from the original coal fired heaters and happily gas was installed in 1925 and electricity in 1947.

Hazelwood Church

 

The two bells were re-hung in 1987 and are rung every Sunday morning to call the village to church.

Hazelwood Church

 

Hazelwood Church
Photo copyright Ashley Franklin, used with permission.

The east window is modern and was installed in 1963. Designed by Karl Edwards, it was paid for by public subscription and features the risen Christ separating the "sheep" from the "goats". The stained glass window of St John the Evangelist was installed in 1989 and there are many other interesting windows in the church. At night the church is floodlit and anyone can sponsor a month's floodlighting in memory of a loved one.

 

Hazelwood Church

 

 

This is the central panel of the modern east window

Hazelwood window

 

More windows can be found by clicking here: 

In 2008, the west end of the church was redesigned to provide an open space for meetings and refreshments.  Several rows of pews were removed, the floor lowered and wooden units installed containing a sink.  The whole area was carpeted.

Originally the back of the church looked like this:

Hazelwood Church

and it now looks like this:

Hazelwood Church


More details of the West End Project can be found by clicking here: